Monday, August 31, 2009

Project Updates, 8/31/2009




I've been entirely focused on wiring the house for ethernet so I have not gotten to much else lately. Here's where everything is at:

Whole House Audio
I have not been wanting to invest any more money in this project until I made some progress on others so it's pretty stalled from a growth standpoint. I did work on the iphone interface a little bit but it still needs to be updated with other features I've thought of. As it stands right now I have the Mac Mini brains of the operation upstairs in a den with speakers, airport express in our bedroom with speakers, HTPC using the Speakers application in the living room. Right now I can play to three different rooms. Mostly I only play a local radio station KBCO or iTunes right now. I control it all from my iPhone (or IE on a desktop, firefox doesn't work for some reason).


Solar Sun Jars
I used hot glue to hold everything in place the last time around inside the lid. I didn't consider the how hot the sun could heat these up in the middle of the day. Yeah... that's not lasting.. I need to replace it with some sort of super epoxy. They are good looking at least with the colored gels in the lids sitting out on our new patio furniture!

Energy Monitoring (TED5000):
I received the display the same day all my networking tools and equipment came so I didn't really touch it for a few days. First impression is it's a bit cheaply made for what it is and costs. Just feels like one of those cheap plastic doodads you get at Bed Bath and Beyond BUT I will say it's a pretty sweet little device. If I didn't have the web interface on my phone or my own graphs going - this would be pretty useful for the majority of users! Also, I have hijacked some old scripts I had laying around for temperature monitoring and used them to pull data from the TED api and stick into some RRD's and export some graphs like this below. Quick and dirty but a little more useful for me if I start to have bad readings again.





Networking, Structured Wiring:

Short of it is I wired up ethernet in two rooms going to the basement where I have a patch panel and a new switch. Detailed post on it coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment