Wednesday, August 12, 2009

There, now *I* fixed it - the first home WIN


We closed on the house this past Monday and moving the small stuff car load by car load since it's only a few miles. I wasn't sure what the first project I was going to end working on in the house since despite it being about 19 years old it's in perfect condition. Turns out it's the phone system.

The DSL modem was delivered on Tuesday. The Qwest tech left a note chastising me for not being home when he came by (even though the customer service person said I didn't have to?) so I wasn't sure if the service would work. I tried every outlet I could find with the modem with no luck. Long story short, I traced the cable from the spot in the basement I wanted to use all the way to the garage and found the picture to the right. Interesting I thought. That's "There, I fixed it" worthy. Cables going every which way. Great.

After a bit of research I found most phone companies provide a customer access port of their demarc that should have a port that can be used for testing. I tracked this down and behold, the modem connected! Excellent, the service works at least....

Looking cloesely I noticed the cable running into the garage, that connects to the birds nest, doesn't look connected to the screw terminals. Some quick wirestripping and connecting the red and green wires because that seemed to be what was used on the other end, got the modem connected at the birds nest terminal now! One last test, is it working at the far end in the basement? YUP!

Amazingly, speed tests look actually decent too. We'll see if I keep this wiring long term because I just can't see how I'm suppose to get 12mbps service over this jury rigged mess but hey it works for now! The first of many savings in do it my damn self repair (tm).

Basement Datacenter 1.0:

No comments:

Post a Comment