Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TED problems and fixes

I've been using the TED5000 for a little while now and am pretty happy with it. I have had two issues mainly so far and support has been fantastic.

1) I had been getting weird readings like HUGE numbers and negatives all of a sudden even after updating to the newest firmwares. Support sent me a beta update that took care of it right away and actually seems to make it work a lot smoother. One of the updates was for the gateway but the other was actually for the box that connects to the breakers. It must send the data over the power lines since it took about an hour for it to complete. Slick...

2) All of a sudden the other day readings were at zero. I didn't notice it but support pointed out that if I wasn't getting green lights, the gateway wasn't getting word back from the mtu. Long story short - through quite a bit of trial and error I figured out the outlet I was using in the basement for Datacenter 1.0 was the same circuit as an outlet in the garage which I had plugged an Airport Express and Bose speakers into. The Bose powered speakers must be putting some noise on the power line to interrupt communication.

It looks like I averaged about 30 kWh's a day over the weekend when it got to the 90's and the swamp cooler was on quite a bit while we were home. We'll see how that evens out over this week. Very interesting.... I am just itching now to figure out a way to track water and gas usage...

No comments:

Post a Comment